PressPort logo

Are You Entitled to Statutory Sick PAY?

Press release April 1, 2012 Business

If you work for an employer you are entitled to statuary sick pay (SSP), even if you have just commenced your employment with them.

276922 285218664860605 1700990647 n

Who can get SSP?

If you work for an employer and have a contract in place you are entitled to SSP even if you have just commenced your employment with them as long as the following apply:

  • you have to be sick for at least four days consecutive, this includes weekends, bank holidays and days that you are not contracted to work.
  • your average earnings weekly are of at least £102 a week

In order to work out your average weekly earnings are calculated on the basis of your earnings from the eight weeks before you began your sickness period. You can find out more on the Governement link we have provided below

How do I get Statutory Sick Pay?

In order to be eligible for SSP you must:

  • inform your employer as soon as possible that you are sick
  • your employer may ask you to provide medical proof of your illness, this must be provided from the eighth day of your sickness period.

How much do you get?

The weekly rate is standard for SSP and is paid at £81.60 a week.

Your employer or payroll services provider will work out a daily rate of SSP if needed. They calculate this by dividing your weekly rate by the number of days you would work in that week. To work out your entitlement of SSP take into consideration that a week runs from Sunday to Saturday.

How is SSP paid

Your employer or payroll services company will usually pay SSP on your usual payday and in the same means as your normal earnings are paid.

SSP like your normal pay, you have to pay tax and National Insurance contributions. If you only receive SSP on that payday, your pay may be below the bracket to pay tax.

What if I am not entitled to SSP or it has stopped?

Your employer or payroll company must fill in the form SSP1 if you are not entitled to SSP or it has stopped, then give this to you. Your employer must state on the form why it has ended or has not been paid, they must state the last date of SSP payment. 

The SSP1 form is used to support a claim for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).  Your employer should give you this form as soon as possible if you are looking to claim ESA, as your payment may be delayed.  

I hope this information was useful, for more information you can visit who are a specialist payroll services provider.