pressport logo
https://www.pressport.com/int/namigreen/pressreleases/electronic-waste-dumping-in-namibia-24691

Electronic waste dumping in Namibia?

Press release

Certainly not! NamiGreen, an electronic waste management company ensure safe disposal of e-waste in Africa

E-waste Africa generated global ewaste monitor 2017
Electrical and electronic waste is growing in Africa. Source: Global E-waste Monitor 2017.

According to the UN around 20 % of all e-waste generated is accounted for but the remaining 80 % which in 2018 equals around 40 million tonnes of e-waste annually may end up in toxic dumps and not be recycled. In Africa, the collection rate of e-waste is close to 0 % according the UN.

Electronic waste, or e-waste, companies such as NamiGreen safely recycles the electronic waste it collects. Namibia won't be a future dumping ground for e-waste.

The amounts of e-waste generated are the sum of the six e-waste categories: Temperature Exchange Equipment, Screens, Monitors, Lamps. Large equipment, Small equipment, Small IT and telecommunication equipment. Especially ‘temperature exchange equipment’ comprise the largest part of the e-waste categories with bulky items like fridges, freezes, cooling equipment. However, the other categories still comprise a large fraction of the total e-waste. 

E-waste includes electric or electronic devices which have reached the end of their life cycle. These devices might be broken, outdated or otherwise no longer useful and therefore discharged. Below are examples from the official e-waste categories, that NamiGreen e-waste facility typically handles:

  • office equipment (e.g. servers, computers, laptops, printers, copy machines,  keyboards, mouse, power supplies, cables, hard disks, CD-ROMs drives, telephone equipment)
  • consumer electronics (e.g. mobile phones, tablets, smartphones, TV, Hi-Fi electronics, DVD players, speakers, headsets, cameras, rechargers) and
  • Household appliances (e.g. irons, kettles, vacuum cleaners, washing machines, dishwashers)

Companies from Africa, the US or Europe can safely send their e-waste to NamiGreen in Namibia using the Basel Convention framework to be fully compliant with legal. 

Contacts


Mr. Per E. Hansen

Founder / CEO
NamiGreen
info@namigreen.com
(+264) 081 256 4136 / (+45) 42 50 20 30
http://www.namigreen.com

Tags


e-waste e-waste africa electronic waste Electronics ewaste weee africa computer scrap computer ghana China namibia


E-waste Africa generated global ewaste monitor 2017
Electrical and electronic waste is growing in Africa. Source: Global E-waste Monitor 2017.
Download | 0.17 MB | .png

Zip and download all files